Oh deliciousness! I have been trying out different combinations of primal ingredients to make the perfect little sweet treat. Some of the recipes have worked and others are just missing that certain something to give it THE taste appeal! The main problem I am finding is balancing the flavours in order to get enough sweet into the recipe. I have to admit it is not easy, but I think I am winning.
The one thing I will say is this; if in doubt add organic dark chocolate, chips, chunks, melted any which way this is a sure fire way to add sweetness to the cakes.
Today I made my first lemon cake and I think I managed to get a good balance between the dry and wet ingredients. I used natural lemon juice but I also added some organic lemon extract. I think this balanced the flavours well and the taste is not sharp or bitter. It is a very pleasant little cake that I think you may just really enjoy!
- 4oz Almond flour/ground almond
- 3 Eggs
- 2oz Flaxseed mix
- 2oz Butter
- 1oz Mixed seeds
- 2 Lemons
- Handful of raw almonds
- Put 1 whole lemon in a saucepan, cover with water and bring to the boil, allow to simmer for 1 hour.
- Pre-heat fan assisted oven to 170°C
- Measure and mix all the dry ingredients
- Rub in the butter to make a dough-like paste
- Grate the rind of the other lemon
- Crack 3 eggs into a blender with 2 tsp of lemon extract and blend
- Add to the dry mixture and mix thoroughly
- Add the boiled lemon to the blender and whizz till it forms a lovely paste
- Add this to the cake mixture and mix thoroughly
- Pour into a buttered baking dish or cupcake cases and decorate with almonds
- Place on the top shelf of the oven for 25 minutes or until it is a golden brown colour and hollow tap in the centre.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes and tip out, upside down. Prick holes into the top with a fork and using the spare lemon, squeeze over the cake liberally and allow a few minutes for it to permeate.
- Slice, and enjoy!
Enjoy yummykins! JL x